Warm homemade Russian pancakes topped with a generous spoonful of the ocean’s most coveted delicacy— blini and caviar is an impressive classic. Perfect for gatherings, special occasions, or just because, these perfectly salty bites make amazing appetizers and cocktail party fare. And the best part? They are blissfully easy to make!
All you need are a few simple ingredients like flour, butter, and milk to whip up a batch of homemade blinis (which we promise will be far better than store-bought blinis in the frozen section) and, of course, the star of the dish — caviar.
The epitome of luxury, caviar is an exquisite delicacy that is second to none when it comes to flavor.
When looking for the best salty sturgeon pearls to pair with this delicious homemade blini recipe, we recommend our Royal Ossetra Caviar. Ossetra has long been hailed as one of the most coveted varieties of caviar since it was originally found in the Caspian Sea.
These delightfully firm roe are best known for their nutty flavor and beautiful dark color that ranges from black to dark grey with shimmery flecks of gold and jade. The pleasing pop and rich, bold flavors of the sea will hold up handsomely on a warm, soft blini and is sure to leave your tastebuds begging for more.
How To Make The Perfect Blini: By Chef Joshua Lozano
Chef Joshua Lozano’s homemade blini recipe calls for very basic ingredients. In fact, there’s a pretty good chance you already have everything needed in your kitchen! In addition to the ingredients, you will also need a ten-inch non-stick skillet or crepe pan and two large mixing bowls. You will also need a flexible rubber turner spatula to help make flipping the blini a breeze.
To make the perfect batch of blinis, begin by whisking together all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Next, in a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and egg before whisking in the milk. Then, add the mixture to the dry ingredients and continue to whisk until there are no visible lumps and the mixture is smooth.
Melt butter in your ten-inch non-stick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat before spooning in a little batter. After roughly two minutes or when the edges are golden brown, gently flip the blini to cook the other side for a few more seconds or until the batter is set. Remove the blini from the hot skillet and repeat.
For the best blini experience, we recommend serving immediately with a dollop of sour cream and however much caviar you’d like to indulge in. While our delightfully nutty caviar is undeniably exquisite all on its own and is sure to take your tastebuds on a journey to the sea, a delicate sprinkle of fresh chopped chives can complement the briny flavor beautifully. Consider a small glass of ice-cold vodka for a truly Russian experience.
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp butter (1 tbsp melted)
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp milk
- Step 1: Begin by whisking together all of the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Step 2: In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and egg.
- Step 3: Whisk the milk into the egg and butter mixture.
- Step 4: Add the mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Step 5: Whisk until all the lumps break up and the mixture is smooth.
- Step 6: Melt the remaining butter on medium heat and spoon about 1 tbsp of the batter into the hot skillet.
- Step 7: Flip when the edges are golden, roughly after two minutes.
- Step 8: Serve with sour cream and a generous spoonful of Imperia Royal Ossetra Caviar.
Pour yourself a small glass of ice-cold vodka to complement caviar’s pure, fresh flavor, and enjoy!
Notes for the Best Taste
- Although blini are best served soon after they are prepared, they can be made up to three days ahead of time as long as they are chilled and wrapped well in foil. When ready to enjoy, simply reheat in foil in a 350°F oven until warm, about eight to ten minutes.
- If you have leftover blini batter, it can be covered and chilled for two to three days and used to make more blinis to enjoy with your favorite Imperia Caviar.
- Although not necessarily needed, as the delicious taste of luxury caviar is more than enough to woo the palate, if you would like to add an additional layer of flavor, chopped fresh chives or onion delicately sprinkled on top make for a tasty bite.
- For the best caviar, be sure to purchase from an honest and reputable company that delivers top-quality hand-sorted sturgeon eggs sourced from sustainable, eco-friendly farms — like Imperia Caviar.