Brunch seems to be everyone’s favorite meal of the day these days, and it’s easy to see why. Good company, bottomless mimosas and brunch staples like fresh avocado smeared on toast, waffles smothered and covered in maple syrup, and creamy scrambled eggs topped with a little accompaniment of caviar can make anyone's heart sing.
Not quite breakfast. Not quite lunch. The late morning to mid-afternoon meal is the ideal opportunity to spend a relaxing day waking up, throwing on some casual attire, and heading out to spend an idyllic afternoon catching up with friends.
The downside? You’re not the only one who loves brunch. And over the weekend, it’s not uncommon to find masses of people crowded in droves outside of trendy brunch spots waiting for their chance to sit down.
But don’t worry — with this utterly delicious deviled crab cake recipe, you can skip the lines and enjoy a nice brunch from the comfort of your own home. No need to wait hours to get a chance to sit at a table and enjoy your day off; read on to learn how to make the best deviled crab cakes that are so good, you won’t believe that you make them yourself.
The Best Deviled Crab Cake Recipe
A seriously luxurious treat that will leave your taste buds speechless when it comes to brunch, deviled crab cakes are king. They are rich, tangy, and undeniably luscious with just the right amount of spice.
In each bite, fresh crab dances with the buttery hollandaise sauce and runny yolk from a perfectly poached egg in a symphony of flavors before melting on the tongue. Devilishly decadent and unbelievably scrumptious, this deviled crab cake recipe by Chef Joshua Lozano is one that will truly impress your guests and leave them begging for more.
To elevate this brunch classic, we recommend topping each deviled crab cake with a generous spoonful of our high-quality Royal Ossetra Caviar. The pearls of the sea provide a stunning pop of saltiness that pairs beautifully with the silky richness of the hollandaise to create a taste that is second to none.
At Imperia, we believe great caviar should be a luxury that everyone can enjoy. We deliver high-quality, hand-sorted sturgeon eggs sourced from our pristine sustainable, eco-friendly farms directly to your doorstep.
Whether you enjoy the delightfully firm roe directly from the tin or top them on your warm deviled crab cakes, this is a treat that is nothing short of indulgent. No matter what, you can count on us to provide you with superior caviar that is unmatched in flavor, texture, and quality.
Deviled Crab Cake:
- 1 cup crushed Ritz cracker
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cloves roasted garlic (or sub garlic confit)
- 1 Tbsp white miso
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Cajun Holy Trinity
- 1 part peeled and small chop (not quite a mince) celery
- 1 part white onion small chop (not quite a mince)
- 1 part green bell pepper small chop (not quite a mince)
- 4 tsp sliced scallion greens + more for garnish
- 1 lb fresh lump blue crab meat carefully picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1 Tbsp seeded Serrano pepper small chop (not quite a mince)
- 4 each egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp RAW cream
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 oz butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne ( or smoked paprika if you don't like spice)
Make the Deviled Crab Cake:
Make the Hollandaise:
Notes From The Kitchen
- To make this dish absolutely divine, it’s important to use fresh ingredients. Stay away from canned crab meat, which contains additives that affect the taste and texture of the meat, and stick with fresh, good-quality lump crab meat.
Look for fresh-off-the-boat crab meat, which is commonly sold in clear plastic containers, usually resting on ice in the seafood department. If fresh lump crab meat isn’t available, your next best option is refrigerated crab meat.
- While we have binding ingredients like egg and mayonnaise, deviled crab cakes require a filler so that they remain intact when cooked. In this recipe, we use crushed Ritz crackers to add a crunchy butter crust for the luscious little cakes.
However, if you don’t have Ritz crackers, you can always substitute this ingredient for bread crumbs or saltine crackers.
- To assemble the deviled crab cakes, slice English muffins in half and toast. Spread some softened butter on each toasted muffin half and layer on a slice of prosciutto (optional). Place a warm crab cake on top of each muffin half before placing one poached egg on top of each crab cake.
Drizzle warm hollandaise sauce on top of each poached egg and garnish with a generous spoonful of our mouthwatering Royal Ossetra Caviar. Enjoy!
A Delicious Treat
While caviar can absolutely be enjoyed just by itself, delicately scooped on a mother of pearl spoon, caviar is a wonderful additive to many dishes. This delightful roe has amazing qualities, not only for the palate but for its superfood qualities: a guilty pleasure with none of the guilt.